Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Hallo

Good morning blog readers!  So yesterday was my second big indulgence TV day, I'm sad to report.  Over the weekend, Andy and I totally got sucked into Four Weddings.  If you haven't seen this show, it's pretty hilarious.  Basically four brides go to each others' wedding and judge the wedding based on the wedding dress, food, entertainment and overall experience.  The bride with the top score wins a honeymoon for her and her husband.  It's a really cool show, especially for someone like me that doesn't really know anything about weddings, to see different culture's traditions and just how many different things you can do at your wedding.  It's also a great way to find out things you'd never think about when you're planning your own wedding, like making sure people can see over your flower decorations from the back seats and not making them do a "love walk" aka a mile hike in the blazing hot summer heat from your ceremony to your reception.  I really enjoy watching stuff like that with Andy, she has some many refreshing ideas and interesting insights that I love to hear her talk about.

Growing up, I was never one of those girls that planned their wedding, actually I didn't give it much thought, ever!  It's so much fun having a person in my life that I can really see myself spending the rest of my life with and getting excited about sharing a huge milestone, like devoting myself to her, in front of all of my family and friends.  Honestly, I don't know when we will get married.  It's sometimes sad to think that if this world we lived in accepted us more, then we would already be married.  It's like looking at heterosexual couples from the outside in, it just seems like there is a more predetermined timeline and expectations.  This feeling sometimes makes being in a same-sex relationship seem like the complete opposite, like everything is optional and if you choose the option then everything is forced or unnecessary.  I would hope that my family wouldn't feel this way.  I would hope that they would view my marrying Andy the same way they would Amy marrying whoever she marries, but sometimes my fear and insecurity get the better of me.  I do not know that I could handle rejection from my family, at least not my immediate family.  Don't get me wrong, they are nothing but supportive of my "lifestyle," and they love Andy to death.  I just think that marriage is very important to my family, and other than side comments in passing, I've never really REALLY talked to them about it as it pertains to me and Andy.

And woah, totally wedding tangent.  I never expected that to be the subject of today's blog.

revelations:  What are some of the mundane or boring things you have to do in your life that you could re-imagine and make either more fun, completely unnecessary and therefore discontinue doing them, or more efficient so that even if you have to do it, you can do it more quickly, therefore devoting less time to it and more time to things you actually enjoy?  For some reason right now in this moment, I can't think of anything.  It's strange, I can be depressed and all together not really optimistic about anything on the whole, but when I break my day down into each thing that I did, it's hard for me not to find something in it that I enjoy, can smile about, or have accepted in some way.  Perfect example, driving to work.  Unfortunately for me, I live about 45 minutes to an hour away from where I work.  As gas prices increase, it has become murder to my wallet.  Additionally, it's not a high speed drive to work on a highway, it's all on roads, main roads, but roads with lights sometimes every block.  Add in the crazy south Florida drivers that think you can make a left U-turn on a red arrow, and you definitely have to have your wits about you.  But for some reason, I love the drive.  In the mornings I listen to NPR and catch up on what's going on in Washington and around the world, and then on my way home I listen to music, right now, Lupe Fiasco's CD Lasers (which is fantastic and I would recommend it to everyone!!).  On my way to work I'm usually still pretty groggy, so it tends to go by quickly.  On my way home, I roll the windows down, turn the music up and drive.  Some may look at it like a waste of almost 2 hours everyday, but for me, it's me time and time for me to sing at the top of my lungs, or try different routes home, to me, it's free.

No comments:

Post a Comment